Prepare your holiday meal with some inspiration from Leah Kirchmann who has kindly shared with Canadian Cycling Magazine four of her favourite festive recipes. To finish off your feast, why not whip up a batch of this secretly healthy chocolatey treat.
by Leah Kirchmann
I’m always looking for ways to create healthier treats that still taste good. Black bean brownies are one of my favourite desserts when hosting dinner guests. I usually wait until after people have tried my desserts before revealing the ingredients.
1 can black beans, rinsed
1/2 cup maple syrup
3 tbsp coconut oil, melted
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
1 tsp coconut oil
1/2-3/4 cup chocolate chips
chopped candy cane
1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. Combine black beans, eggs, maple syrup, coconut oil, cocoa powder, vanilla, baking powder and salt in a food processor or high powered blender.
3. Blend everything until completely smooth.
4. Pour into 8 x 8 inch pan and bake for around 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into centre of the brownies comes out clean.
5. Wait until the brownies cool off, then melt chocolate chips with 1 tsp coconut oil in the microwave (about 30-seconds to one minute careful not to burn).
6. Spread the chocolate in an even layer, then sprinkle with crushed candy cane.