Summertime is for long days in the sun and evenings spent by the BBQ with friends and family. During the summer there is an abundance of fresh produce to grill and pair with salmon and slightly charred corn on the cob. Here are three recipes that you can rotate into your evening BBQ routine.
Grilled Corn Relish
Prep time: 15 minutes
Grill: 25 minutes
3 tbsp lime juice
1 tbsp cooking oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 fresh ears of corn, husked and cleaned
1 tsp chili powder
1 small avocado, seeded, peeled and diced
½ cup chopped red bell pepper
¼ snipped fresh cilantro
¼ teaspoon salt
1. In a medium bowl combine lime juice, oil and garlic.
2. Brush corn lightly with juice mixture and sprinkle with chili powder.
3. Grill corn on the rack of an uncovered grill on medium heat for 25-30 minutes or until tender, turning occasionally.
4. Meanwhile, add avocado, bell pepper, cilantro, and salt to remaining lime juice mixture. Toss well.
5. Cut corn kernels from the cob. Stir into avocado mixture.
Saffron Pilaf with Grilled Vegetables
Prep time: 20 minutes
Grill: 10 minutes
1 cup jasmine, basmati or long grain rice
1 14 ½-ounce can vegetable broth
¼ cup water
⅛ tsp saffron threads or a dash of ground saffron
2 tbsp olive oil
½ tsp bottled minced garlic
1 red bell pepper, seeded and quartered
1 large zucchini, halved lengthwise
1 eggplant, sliced ½ inch thick
1-ounce herbed semi-soft goat cheese (chévre), crumbled
2 tbsp coarsely chopped hazelnuts or pecans, toasted
1. In a large saucepan, combine rice, vegetable broth, water and saffron. Heat to boiling then reduce heat and simmer uncovered for about 15 minutes or until rice is tender and all the liquid has been absorbed. Keep warm.
2. Meanwhile, in a small bowl combine oil and garlic. Brush over bell pepper, zucchini and eggplant.
3. Grill vegetables on a lightly greased rack on an uncovered grill directly over medium heat for about 10 minutes, or until tender.
4. Season vegetables with salt and pepper to taste.
5. Transfer the vegetables to a cutting board. Cool slightly.
6. Cut vegetables into bite-sized pieces and stir into the cooked rice.
7. Top with goat cheese and nuts.
2 lb salmon filet
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp paprika powder
½ tsp chili powder
1. Mix the salt, chili powder, cumin, paprika, onion and black pepper together.
2. Rub the salmon fillets with olive oil and this seasoning mix.
3. Place on foil and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
4. On medium heat, place salmon on the BBQ and cook to suit your preference.