There were several winners in Saturday’s thrilling eighth stage of the Tour de France: Thomas De Gendt, who survived from the breakaway to earn his second career Tour win; third place Julian Alaphilippe, who attacked to retake the yellow jersey; and Thibaut Pinot, who attacked with Alaphilippe to gain time on his GC rivals. The one rider who had a bummer was Michael Woods, who crashed with Ineos inside 15-km to go and lost significant time to fall outside the top-30 from ninth on GC.
With De Gendt yet to go solo at the pointy end of the race, and the French duo yet to attack, Woods and Geraint Thomas and Gianni Moscon crashed on a right hand turn. This delayed all of Ineos except for Egan Bernal and Thomas had to chase on. Thomas said after the stage, “I’m fine, but it’s just frustrating – obviously it was a key moment in the race. Woods crashed, and just took out Gianni and me. I got tangled in Gianni’s bike and took some time to get going. The boys did a great job. I caught up for the final bit.”
Moscon was left with a wreck of a machine.
— La Flamme Rouge (@laflammerouge16) July 13, 2019
By attacking on the 2019 Tour’s third bonus-second climb, the 1.9 km, 7.9 percent Cote de la Jailliere cresting with 12.5 km to go, Alaphilippe and Pinot seized some seconds, something they also accomplished at the finish line. Pinot is now in third place behind Alaphilippe and the deposed yellow jersey, Giulio Ciccone.
— Deceuninck-QuickStep (@deceuninck_qst) July 13, 2019
According to provisional results Woods finished over 14 minutes behind De Gendt. EF Education First still has Rigoberto Uran in the top-10.
2019 Tour de France Stage 8
1) Thomas De Gendt (Belgium/Lotto-Soudal) 5:00:17
2) Thibaut Pinot (France/Groupama-FDJ) +0:06
3) Julian Alaphilippe (France/Deceuninck-Quick Step) s.t.
69) Michael Woods (Canada/EF Education First) +14:22
97) Hugo Houle (Canada/Astana) +19:43
2019 Tour de France GC
1) Julian Alaphilippe (France/Deceuninck-Quick Step) 34:17:59
2) Giulio Ciccone (Italy/Trek-Segafredo) +0:23
3) Thibaut Pinot (France/Groupama-FDJ) +0:53
35) Michael Woods (Canada/EF Education First) +15:32